Wednesday, September 19, 2018

2 Budget-Friendly Homework Caddies!




Hi friends!

I don't know about you, but Homework time can be quite daunting trying to get all the kids to cooperate and focus. That's why I make sure to limit distractions; no electronics at the table, TV off and a fully equipped "Homework Caddy" with all the supplies our kids may need to complete their work effectively.

This year we have a 6th grader, a 4th grader, a Kindergartner, and a Pre-Kindergartner. They each have different needs when it comes to homework, therefore I've customized two caddy's; one for my older boys and another for my younger two kids.

Here's what I have in the caddy for my older kids (8 & 11 y.o.)



This caddy was a curbside find! It could be used for so many different things but I liked it for this purpose, it just looks great on display wherever I put it; usually its on my kitchen table. But as you can see below, my other caddy just cost me $1 at Dollar Tree!

What you'll need:
  • No. 2 Pencils - pre-sharpened
  • Pencil sharpener 
  • Calculator (I don't encourage them to use it, but we keep it handy to check their work)
  • Glue - we rarely use this for homework but always need it when they're given a project
  • Ruler 
  • Scissors
  • Timer - I use the little hourglass from our Taboo game. We use it when our kids are practicing their "no hesitation math". You can use it when your kid studies flash cards!
In the cute tin jars (from IKEA) I keep the supplies I want to keep out of their reach or need to contain in one place. 
  • Markers and Sharpies
  • Pens - Blue, Black and Red
  • Erasers - can't ever have too many erasers! we all make mistakes :)

SPEND WELL
You can find ALL of these supplies at your local dollar store. However, I've learned some supplies are worth the splurge just because the quality saves you time, frustration or even just a better outcome on paper: Ticonderoga No.2 pencils are the real deal. They sharpen well, the lead doesn't snap right away and the eraser never leaves a smudge! The other is Crayola color pencils or crayons. They're highly pigmented so color is vibrant and applies evenly.


For my younger children (4 & 5 y.o.) I included the following:


  • Pencils - pre-sharpened
  • Sharpener
  • A practice pad - my younger two are still working on penmanship, in this pad I use a highlighter to write letters and numbers which I then have the kids trace with their pencil as a warm up before they start their homework
  • Crayons and markers - keep them engaged during tasks with some doodle time for a mental break
  • Stickers - rewards that aren't expected are the best kind! Stick a sticker on your kids hand or face when they're trying extra hard, or they came to the table without being called more than twice, or when they've put away their backpack. Acknowledging every bit of effort helps kids determine what is right and what is wrong.
  • Sight Words flashcards - I use these cards as a "game" between writing or counting work. For example: I say the word, they repeat and then I place 3 cards on the table and ask them to find the word "Me" and have them follow the sounds of the letters they hear or remember seeing. 
  • Blank index cards - to make flashcards (have these on hands to make flashcards based on letters, numbers or words your kids struggle with)





I imagine you've already invested in supplies for the classroom and supplies for your child's backpack, But you should equip your home with these necessary supplies. Shopping your local dollar store will save you a lot of money. Having your own system helps control the madness... at least some of it.

WHY A CADDY?
The idea of the caddy is to keep you and your kids organized and productive. Have all the supplies you need, right when you need them. Another reason I love the caddy? It travels from room to room. So if you don't have an office or desk, just a kitchen table like many of us - you and your kid are ready to work.

WHERE TO STORE IT?
If space is an issue at home, ss far as storing it goes; think UP. Try the top of the fridge, or mount a small shelf just for the kids things. I find it best to keep my older's caddy where they can grab it themselves and the caddy for my smaller children, on the fridge.

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO TO MAKE HOMEWORK TIME MORE PRODUCTIVE?
Again, limit electronics and TV during homework time. In addition, have a snack ready for the kids to munch on while they work. Apple slices, fresh popcorn or pretzels are my go-to. I also know my kids always need water at all times so I have cold water in their water bottles at arms reach. And finally, take breaks! I know this means homework time is even longer but you'll get more out of your kid's when they're fresh for a new task. Have them stretch, color a picture, play rock paper scissors!

How do you get your kids ready for homework time?? I'd love to hear your best practices!

Cheers!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment