Monday, September 10, 2018

Sweet & Simple Ways to Organize: Paperwork!


This post was inspired by my recent need to tame the clutter of paperwork in my home. I can't imagine anyone who enjoys turning their house upside looking for that one document they didn't think they'd need, until that moment they realize it is like, really important after all.

Everyone should have a way of storing their important paperwork such as birth certificates, passports and tax documents. If you don't, keep reading. But its all the other stuff that we don't consider so important that usually end up in piles on your desk or stuffed in a box under the bed or even in that infamous junk drawer. Clearly, you're not the only one. I've been there for sure, too many times.

The light-bulb moment.
Everything changed when I had my first child. It was shortly after my baby shower and we were un-boxing all the amazing baby gear we had received. All of which came with a Manual of Instructions. All of the manuals ended up on a baby box in my son's dresser where we could access it at any given time for any given reason; like when your baby swing suddenly stops swinging and you've got a sleep-deprived Momma and one cranky new-born. Yeah, that simple box in the drawer was our saving grace. But then that box was stuffed to the max with every manual we ever encountered (80% of them from IKEA) and going through it was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. And thus, my system was born:

Introducing my $2 or less organizing system for PAPERWORK!

1. Manual Madness
We save every manual we ever receive. When we buy a new appliance or the kids get a new toy for their birthday, I take the manual and put it in this $2 accordion file folder. I also keep instruction manuals for any furnishings and warranties for electronics. What we weren't doing was getting rid of the manual when we got rid of the article/product. A recent purge helped me clear my house and this file folder! That extra step kept us organized for sure.


Organizing the manuals by category helps other members of the family find what they need and put things back in place.


2. The Wonder Years... 
I created the simplest school year capsule: a plastic envelope from the dollar just $2, one for each child. Here I save report cards, class pictures, art pieces, writing samples, awards or notes from teachers and friends. I only want to remember this chapter of their lives, not relive it. I don't need EVERY piece of homework he ever completed or ever drawing she ever made, sweet and simple.


I purchased 3 of each color for future years.


3. Parents Get Homework Too...
When the kids come from school, I go through their backpacks and take out all of the forms, notices and calendars sent by each school for each of my kids (we are proud members for 3 different schools!) I know I won't be able to read each document until I put the kids to bed, so I created my own system to avoid the pile of papers on the dinner table or anywhere for that matter. I upcycled last year's plastic folders (which only cost .50 from Staples!) and labeled each one with the kids names. I take any document that requires my attention and place them in their at-home folder and place the folders in my command center. I make it my routine to review all the docs, sign what needs my signature, record any important dates in my planner and respond to any notes from the teachers by returning the completed docs back in the kids to-school communication folder, which the teachers receive. And to keep me accountable; I set a reminder on my phone to review my folders every night. The #goal is to keep you organized and informed.

Always buy your kids PLASTIC folders, they hold up all year. These were too good to toss.


4. Important Family Records
In a simple plastic envelope folder ($1!), I keep original docs such as Birth Certificates, SS cards and passports. I have these in a safe/secured place but also readily available in case of an emergency; Hint: under the bed!). I used to keep the kids immunizations in here until I found myself forgetting to take it for appointments. Now I keep them in a zipper envelope so I can grab and go from my command center. 

Labels from Dollar Tree $1 for 50!

I used sheet protectors to keep Birth Certificates from fading or rips

The envelope is waterproof in case of any spills in my bag. 

As for that command center I've referenced in this post; here's a direct link to a post I put together last year and it's still going strong to this day!

I do hope you find this post helpful! Do tell me your thoughts. And if you have any great ways to organize the paperwork in your home, please share them with me! I love to learn different ways to get the job done!

Cheers!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment